Thursday, June 13, 2019

Digital Materials

During my time working in museums and libraries, I have digitized many materials. I worked on book scanning at Widener Library at Harvard University. Due to copyright restrictions, there were many rules about how these scans were accessed, the number of users of the scans, the percentage of a book that could be scanned, etc. It was interesting to see how these copyright laws worked in the real world.

In museums I have taken photos of artwork and objects to be published online in web-base catalogs or online exhibits. Research both on the object itself and the museum's rights to the object are required to learn whether the museum can publish these photos online.

I plan for my final project to be an online exhibit of wood carvings made by members of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. I own the carvings and will be using my own photos. I am excited to create a publicly accessible exhibit of these objects to share with the wider world. There are many sources online for digital images, including of similar wood carvings. But a web publisher (which includes all people creating web content) must consider copyright issues when sharing or posting digital images, both for ethical and legal reasons. By using my own photos, I can guarantee that the content is legally used.

No comments:

Post a Comment